Tuesday, February 14, 2017

9-1-1 Heroes Awards Ceremony 2013




##########################################
San Francisco.
.
911 Heroes Award Ceremony and it's presented today by the San Francisco Department have Emergency Management and 911 for kids.
My name's Ali scam I'm with 911 for kids public education and just so you all know 911 is the universal emergency response number.
When we need help and it is used in the US.
Canada in Cayman Islands in other countries they use different numbers.
I'm but damn the 911 for Kids program.
Was a created in 1990 in response to the alarming love calls that were not emergencies and with the whole purpose of trying to reduce 911 misuse.
And that we're really thrilled with with the program and how we work collaboratively with public safety.
All over the nation and the city of san Francisco is just an exemplary.
Exemplary program in public education.
Now it is my pleasure to introduce today's.
Masters of ceremony he is a legendary.
Los Angeles and Oakland Raiders wide receiver.
The nineteen eighty seven Heisman Trophy winner from Notre Dame and he is the National chairmen.
I've 911 for kids ladies and gentlemen please welcome number 81 Tim Brown thank you very much a lease.
See left that num 81 your program the number 12 your heart she left that part out so yeah I it is an absolute pleasure to be here today we are here to recognize to outstanding.
Now one youth heroes m4 incredible number one dispatch heroes.
These example where youngsters acted with bravery in confidence in an emergency crisis situation and help to save the lives of their loved ones.
Our foreign I want dispatch heroes work behind the scenes in cooperation with law enforcement fire an emergency medical response.
The men and women who s in these calls East a.
Other for to first responders when a disaster.
Or emergency strikes which can often.
Make the difference between life and death for people who in the they are truly real heroes please join me in welcoming a deputy director from San Francisco Department of Emergency Management.
Miss Lisa Hoffman Lisa thank you Tim.
And thank you lease and Kelly from my mom for kids every year they make this a successful ceremony for us.
In honoring children heroes and dispatchers who are really the the people that make it happen for to save other people's lives hold on it from my glasses that sorry they made the font really big unfortunately my eyes are still really small so thank you for joining us here today the Department of Emergency Management is so pleased to partner again with my mom for kids in honoring our dispatchers and use heroes this event marks the third year in a row that we've teamed up to present awards.
We are also extremely happy to recognize in the audience Supervisor John Ave Los and and Cronenberg are.
Deputy director ok senior executive director from our department emergency management and Paul Henderson from the mayor's office thank you so much for being here today.
These VIP's there appear on the the stage are gonna be presenting awards to are heroes in honorees as the public safety answering point for fight police fire and emergency medical services.
The 911 center in san francisco processes approximately a million one hundred thousand calls per year.
I'm rift first agency in the city california to accept our own wireless 911 calls and we've done so successfully for 12 years seventy-five percent of all the calls that we receive now are from cell phone so it's really important that you train your kids and your family members who know how to dial 911 from a cell phone and if they speak a language other than English to preface that.
Call for help by saying what dialect or language they speak we can translate languages and up to a hundred and seventy three different languages so if somebody you know we're live dials 911 and they don't know how to speak English fluently or that's not their first language.
Police on to give us the dialect will be able to connect them with somebody who can speak their language as quickly as possible.
It's now my pleasure to present today's first 911 hero tolerant all tell if you please come up and we have supervisor John Avalos from district 11 here to present.
Column with her award and supervisor if you want can meet this demand a plan are you.
Great I it's really I wanna fall to be invited here too honor this young person tele hope.
On October 25th at 8:25 p.m. ten-year-old tolerate Hall called 911 requesting a medical response for her mother was having a severe headache.
So my semi-conscious and shallow breathing.
Dollars call for help was answered by Public Safety's Safety dispatcher Edgar velasco throughout their contact Edgar provided.
Assistance and compassion to her and her two young siblings egghead I gave assurances that help was on the way.
Every minute Allah that she was doing a great job.
Helping her mother together eddy current Allah.
Work to help insure a successful outcome.
To this medical emergency let's take a moment.
To listen to a brief segment of Tyler's 911 call.
Detected by a good to come up on speech cease to exist sorry about that.
Wanna.
All.
And refund I have a patrol I cream for I have all lucky and your goal.
Unheeded and don't tell Mom way apartment 8 ok let me re: all up a lot waldheim after the lock button.
In line with the body and get there okay okay.
But could be it okay.
You know where but you can absolutely be on a big moment media it would but that would gonna be on.
Apollo we are on the way Dr right you want now.
A don't worry got on your mom that will happen.
He yeah I'm really.
Hey ed Heat Miami.
Human yeah day a.
Okay he hit he or Lake a okay okay at Biggby.
All the way.
So at this time we'd like to invite supervisor of a list to present the certificates from his office.
And the Board of Supervisors thank you very much for bringing those too tall an agar thank you actually I'm really choked up by a.
Just thinking about the hallways and courage that Tyler held on that call and just a great help she got from.
A number one stab at Glasgow thank you.
So much for just being a great example for.
City staff and for young people in the city I have a certificate of Honor.
I want to provide to each of you up from my office and signed by members the Board of Supervisors a are due to Allah first so in recognition of your quick response to your family members need your ability to call to keep calm and help make you a 911 hero thank you very much for your wonderful courage and Fred Kerber la scala recognition other expert assistance and compassion to those in need of help thank you for providing common sharon says to encourage others your true now we won hero thank you and I would like to present the 91 for Heroes Awards to both taller an acre to tough.
Yeah.
Here.
Supervisor of a list thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day to come and join us we know you.
You're tied up in budget meetings and we appreciate it thank you very much alright so Am I ladies and gentlemen i'd like to please have you join me in welcoming.
Jante brown and Public Safety dispatcher.
Came to yank.
And on behalf at the mayor's office Paul Henderson deputy chief of staff for met eben mayor Edwin M Lee presenting their wards on behalf of Martha Cohen whose our supervisor for district and thank you very much for of thank you guys all so much for coming out it always makes me so happy when I see people from the community here in City Hall sharing in this public building.
And makes me especially proud when I look out my hear the stories.
Today and meet the people I love you guys a.
Caught it this morning but they were talking about the Hero Awards.
At today on npr and they were talking about the achievements that are happening right here in San Francisco and to be able to look out and see the faces are the people that are the heroes work and live amongst us a8 it really.
Makes me proud and it really is what public service is about its its only exacerbated by the fact that we have city employees appear that have done such an outstanding job in.
It makes me proud to be here and I'm happy to see %ah love you so thank you for being here and welcome.
Up so I am here and im pleased to present certificates of Honor on behalf of supervisor Malia Cohen who is the elected supervisor in district 10 which is that the bayview.
Which is my neighborhood where I grab I and here let me tell you a little bit about what we're celebrating.
So on september thirtieth at 6:49 p.m..
Eleven-year-old count a brown called 911.
And requested an ambulance for his mother who was unconscious after being hit in the head by a falling object.
Falling object county's 911 call was answered by Public Safety dispatcher cam.
To you to yank I said it right he during their call Kim provided medical instruction assistance and most importantly comfort and reassurance to key on teh.
Together came in key on teh work to help ensure a successful to the medical emergency and so now we're gonna listen to a little clipper that incident as well so you can hear.
Just how things happened on that day.
%um we Iron Man lol.
Papi cook lower look the feeling it.
Lol a lil where are you call you lead him what happened cool it will only like it back home at a low level it like it will get.
A lot only agree with him on right now your.
My partner people did not you at cool oh well and it will here okay at and and we can't you can't but.
I would be on the fam I just wanna remind you guys a county is 12 years old.
And I have the wherewithal to stay calm during a situation like this and know exactly what to do.
It was his real smart decision to get help that really made him a hero I mean that such a big deal at 12 years old I know.
I was having a good day five and hit my sister that day is so this is like.
This is a big deal so I just want to congratulate you in front of an audience and I actually have with me commendation thought I'd like to present first to you.
Key on teh and this is recognizing you as a hero for your extraordinary act extraordinary act have heroism on this tenth day have a pro the year 2013 I know you may have had a middle school to be here but.
We are excited you're here and we welcome you as one of San Francisco's hero.
Thank you so much who hold this up some people can see the picture can be there you go got and I also want to recognize camera for very similar active taking the phone call and working with this young person to help make sure that we had a positive outcome and can take your mother's here in the audience.
Just wanna raising and here you go we have one extra audience member.
15 because I've key on today and so cam as the not San Francisco City 911 dispatch your own.
This also is in recognition for your exemplary response while assisting a child.
In an emergency situation takes a lot of work to make sure that you understand you get the information.
And this is the best turnout that we could have expected and it makes all of us proud that you're standing here and representing the very finest of San Francisco employees thank after he.
We also have medals for both of them as well.
Let's give them all a big round of applause.
Up I'm back up.
With alright so now.
I have a nother certification and then other a challenging opportunity for us.
I'm pronouncing pretty humans murders ever because you know I will mess up the pronunciation and Amanda.
Pet treat see a was alright yes come on over ever to see a let's not forget to look at you FEMA.
Mark my cutie.
For 2g okay particular marker T so let me tell you about what the treaty is it for us for the city so on March 4th at 6:25 p.m. Public Safety but reach Mr coochie receive I'm just waiting for to look at me mean like this enron.
Received a call from a 10-year-old boy.
Name Jason now he called 911 that day.
And reported his grandfather who was having an asthma attack during this call Patricia provided Jason with medical instruction.
With assistance and most importantly comfort and reassurance.
There is an added level of difficulty for pretty cheap in the Jason was translating for adults.
Who only spoke Chinese so even under these difficult situations Patricia and Jason work collaboratively to help ensure a successful outcome.
Unfortunately Jason and his family were unable to join us today but that's not gonna stop us from celebrating the fine work at this city employees and the job that she did that actually save lives here in our city.
Cell we'll take a brief moment to hear this conversation but what I want you to keep in mind is that this 10-year-old child is translating for adults who are in need of assistance the don't speak English at all so without further ado upon would be deeply fire medical.
A medical what do you think that location W burgundy.
Here every meal late pick it up okay all what people want Gardner football.
Cool fatal him a $28 Hill want to end up like.
Golf ball it ok I'll global he had a hey and whirlpool all okay who have been greedy month-long yet fetal pole all I think you and be on the phone UK don't think not.
I'm gonna go ahead and get a medic when I need to know i know:.
What are you okay okay all 8 p.m. PDT thank you for calling are you with your grandpa her yeah and my local and your mother they're here holding her grandfather.
For me helpful okay your mother-in-law.
Speak English all all a little okay a little bit believe it 17 here with him now.
And is he only what.
Evil okay and he would plead ignorance or.
He did it he completely alert come if he hadn't yet all heated body appropriately to you are you active part in the interim you like the one we don't let me check.
Okay good didn't get UK looking on it.
I'll he he he.
Hit while he here we cannot whole.
Okay he did not know you normally talk to you wall okay good.
Alright it if you have a hard time the but fell right back sold.
Now I know that anybody view that have worked with children the past.
Know how difficult it can be to speak to someone that you may not have met before.
On the phone with the 10-year-old to try and keep them calm.
And actually get crucial and important information across to them and from them all at the same time.
And that's really what we're talking about here today and that's what you heard on the call which is why I think this is such.
A big and important they'll I'm so I actually have.
To certificates to present one from the local 911 heroes a war for per teacher.
Want you to hold on to that but cuz I'm just warming up because we've got more.
I also have the certificate on our from the Board of Supervisors.
Authorizing the SDQ should have this headache etc certificate upon our.
And appreciation and public recognition.
Up distinction and Marion for outstanding service.
To a significant portion other people and the City and County of San Francisco.
So congratulations once again we thank you so much for your work you may call on the from he wrist and i dont and we still have a a metal.
To present to produce here as well.
The I'm back.
All right we have another honoree.
So once again I like to call up then when we stand Rd talk to Danbury a stamp.
Alright so this is Dan when now let me tell you a little bit about what dan did so on September 11th.
At five at 4:57 p.m..
Public Safety dispatcher dan when received a call from a 14-year-old girl.
Name to Nini saying that she needed medical help for her mother.
Dan quickly verify tonight he's a dress and her phone number and provided her with medical instructions.
Dan stayed on the line with to Nani and kept reassuring her that help was on the way dance compassionate own and demeanor during his call help to Nani both remain calm and assisted her in providing assistance to her mother unfortunately to ninety and her today.
But we do have this fine public servant representing.
The good work up the city that we're going to celebrate and we're gonna take another moment again.
To hear that a place so we hear little bit of his work and what we're celebrating them become our one mall I but then I want the American be yet.
Lilo yet not legal.
Ok it not me with your phone number okay degree.
After that they're going I'm not a bit illegal ok then all all it a really bad at all although Paul.
All I dental well that I where the patient.
Eat there anything okay he'll wait I.
Lucky got it a little okay agree completely normal yellow he completely under a lot Hill you pay it no you do not.
Okay he can color all while hit our problem yell yeah yeah I don't know came wall you'll well yeah all.
Not arm game and can it help you now in line exactly what to do next no.
Don't have thank you Dad hit you know one other things that you should keep in mind as the you heard them say that they receive over a million calls a year now keep in mind that when these calls come anne often times especially when you're talking about children the only thing they know is to make that phone call and so that entire situation has to be dealt with by these dispatchers who have to assess the in for says the situation and provide usually through that child as you've seen today.
To provide the assistance because they're the only ones that are around to help can get there so that's really such a big deal and that's part of the reason why we play you these calls.
So you understand on the opposite side of their calls oftentimes when people call this this is their lifeline this is the only person that is providing them with information making an assessment telling them what to do calling for assistance.
Making an determination as to who best can come and help with the situation.
So it's such a big deal we don't take these lightly.
And it's so impressive the work that you all do on a daily basis and it even more impressive with the examples that we've seen today so I just wanna present the same commendation as a dispatcher award.
For our local hero to dan when and as well.
Another certificate have on our for his fine work and for doing such a good job of representing his department really is the work that we all strive to achieve as public employees so thank you again.
And this certificate is from the Board of Supervisors stand when and one more cuz we still got tens metal to go.
I'd like to call the rested the kids up to and the dispatchers up to get a quick picture but while we're doing that I'd really like to thank Paul Henderson from the mayor's office for doing a fabulous job for us today.
Thank you so much for your wonderful and I also want to thank the 91 for kids supervisor John Avalos and supervisor Malia Cohen for their efforts to make the ceremony so effective and so wonderful today thank you all so very much well sprint.
On.
Old.
Bold.
I'm pool.
Home.


##########################################

No comments:

Post a Comment