Sunday, February 12, 2017

Install Eclipse + Android Development Tools in 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04




##########################################
Hello my name is mike rainer in this video's how to install eclipse plus android development tools in a 64-bit ubuntu 14.04 desktop now we'll have to say one thing this is more of a guide than the actual how to do it because i'm using a virtual machine and I really wouldn't work with a virtual machine as far as developing android apps the outcomes for this video would be to install java 7 from personal package archive PPA installed 32-bit libraries needed for android development tools install the Eclipse ADT from google and verify operation by creating a simple hello world program and running it on android phone and at the end of the video i have a demonstration at android emulator does not work with virtualbox of ubuntu 14.04 that means that are going to 14.4 is running as a guest inside virtualbox you can use arrested guide for doing it hardware install if this is what you're interested in requirements 14-point 04 64-bit desktop with administrative privileges and internet connection.
I just want to emphasize this warning this video use of virtual guest for demonstration purposes a virtual guest will not run Android emulators inside virtualbox i personally would not use a virtual guest for android development but this video can serve as a guide to do these install on the hardware computer and additional infos get the android sdk setting up hardware devices from android google and then I've got another video that I've created how to configure an android device to run applications in the clips I've got a disclaimer and while this video demonstration actual install the software required to develop android apps and it works but i can't fully verify that will work on all combination of hardware and software out there here is a version of ubuntu 14.04 running inside virtualbox although it is a little bit buggy in virtualbox I'm still going to use it for this demonstration the only thing that will not run is the android emulator I'll hook up an android phone to run it directly from the android development tools so the first thing I'm going to do right here is installed java do a search for the terminal there it is and I'm unlock it to launcher and the first thing I'm gonna do is do a java version see if java installed it can be found in the following packages so Java is not on this computer i thought i had java on an earlier version of fourteen point of four but it's obviously not on this version which is all the latest updates installed so i'm going to use a PPA I believe it stands for personal package archive and of course i'm going to have to use sudo pseudo and apt repository EPA colon web up the a-team java or should get enter your password inter for continued so once it's added I've got to do sudo apt-get update and then I'll do sudo apt-get and stall Oracle Java 7 installer i can get everything spelled correctly here take out that dash this i found the easiest way to install java if you don't trust web up the a-team then you're going to have to do it by hand video on how to do that for 12 12.4 I believe accept the license terms come back when the everything is installed the one thing i want to point out here is that it's got the GRE seven browser plug-in installed let's go and make sure this is the apt-get install default java Oracle Java 7 set the fault.
And I believe this is a script that will download and set as the default now if i want to go here to java version and you'll see that java version 1.7 55 at which at this time is the latest java version awful this won't affect the android set up let me open up a web browser and I'll doing about plugins and right here that Java plug-in and you'll see it's a java 7 oracle plugin so everything seemed to be set up for java so the next step I'm going to be doing install some 32-bit libraries and the reason for that is the Eclipse android ADT and/or development toolkit needs some 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit machine open up a terminal here and it's fairly simple little app get install live 32 STD c plus plus 6 space like 3201 space like 32 z1 dash tab and say yes to this and that's done here i am at developer.android.com ready to download eclipse plus the adt plugin scroll down here and the 1i wanted Linux 64-bit because I've got 12 14 point 0 for 64-bit computer setup as a virtual machine and i'm going to download it just click on it and ask that you read these terms and conditions click on it and then download the adt bundle you want open and we're going to save the file click OK and then it says about four minutes remaining however faster download speed is I'll come back when this is fully downloaded once eclipse with the adt is fully downloaded it is time to install it there it is it down those directory so i just simply close that close this go to my terminal and the first thing I'll do is create a direct released its stall eclipse with the adt so do not want to use sudo here because eclipse in the ATT is going to install in your home folder or home directory by installing it in your home folder home directory you eliminate a lot of problems with permissions as far as Eclipse is concerned though there are no you can install someplace else if you want to get all the permissions correct as far as making a video in and trying to answer everyone's question it makes it a lot simpler installing the home directory so I'm gonna make a directory in the home directory called Android tools.
Do an LS and there it is go to CD downloads doing LS this is the file the Android tools with eclipse that will stand loaded it's a zip file someone unzip it and we'll use a dash D for change directory space tilde / Android tools once its installed back to my home directory LS and then CD into Android tools doing LS and you'll notice that's the adt bundle CD go to that directory do an LS and you'll see it's got the software development kit in the Eclipse so I'm gonna start eclipse and by doing that is eclipse because that's the directory and then is located the filenames eclipse and up comes and growing developer tools those tools are in eclipse and that's for selected workspaces you should make your own workspace i'm going to use the default simply because that makes the video easier to present.
Click OK.
And here we go with the java ADT and send usage statistics to google I'm just one click no and finish so i will click on new android application and i'm going to call it.
Hello Andy and the dandy world and it feels everything in for me and i'm going to click Next.
I've had a problem sometimes were 12 14.04 would not i like this next go ahead and click it anyway I think it's just a graphics is just coming in a little bit slow so i'm going to click Next and I'm going to take off the create custom light launcher icon because that's just some extra weight click Next make sure it's a blank activity click next and then finally click finish and we're going to see this a lot of this loading and you have to wait for this to completely load otherwise you may have that our problem where it can't find that our variable you see it's got these question marks here just let it keep low loading and sometimes I'll be these stars here i'm sorry the the excess they're saying and then they'll refer to our problem but don't touch it until it's fully loaded.
There's that little X there we'll see if this one comes in with the little X well this one I suspect that if I reload restart this that this will go away but let's go take a look and see what these are the container android references non-existent library project cannot be built until path errors are resolved so let's see by restarting at these paths errors can be resolved so what I want to do here is actually go to file and do a restart.
This time I'm going to go right here where it says java ADT right-click it lock it to the launcher now let it fully load if you've been watching you notice that the ex disappeared up here here's a warning i'm not going to worry about the warming it's a problem just setting up the main default program i'm going to open it up and i'm going to go to the resources and i'm going to go to values and we'll go strings and you know that even though i have four gigabyte memory of ram and two processes running on the virtual machine that this may not be a good way to do android development by using a virtual machine and open up strings.xml and I want to go to basically the xml file and we'll change this right here too.
Hello and the in the world right click and save so now i'm going to run now one thing I don't seem to be able to do is run android inside a virtual machine so basically i'm going to go run as and so I'm going to hook up a phone to the virtual machine.
Give that a second to show up go devices here USB devices motorola double-check devices it's checked and here comes and I've got separate video that shows how to hook this up so that eclipse can see it and shotwell here is coming up because it thinks I've got some pictures on my phone and right click and then I'm one simply run it as an Android application verified everything is working ok and right here it comes up with the phone for setting up a phone like I said I've got a separate video the links are at the beginning of this video and the link is also in the description click okay well I'm gonna monitor logcat because you always liked the monitor logcat and take a look that gives you a lot of good information about what's happening.
The program is not working and we will go to window and i'm going to open up the DD ms perspective take a look at my phone here i'm going to do a screen and not take another screenshot here let's close this one so that we can read right side up so there we go.
Hello Andy dandy world so that's pretty much it for setting up android development environment in a bun to 14.04 if this is all you want you can go ahead and exit the video now the next section I'm going to basically try and create an emulator kind of show you what happens and use the system monitor with it so thank you if this is all you need and if you want to stay for the next section that's fine too in this section of the video I'm going to show you why trying to run android emulator is not a good idea for virtual machine even thought run slow and a hardware machine it just is almost impossible to run virtual machine so here's my droid 12 that virtual machine used to install and the android development toolkit with the eclipse on I'm gonna go to system here and I'm one double the memory 8192 and i'm going to add another processor I dad that all for my processors but I'm afraid of it crashing my host machine and will click ok then i'm going to start it once it started on come back here I've got the ubuntu 14.04 desktop started and one thing I want to look for here is the system monitor and i'm going to open it up.
And go to resources and actually as long as I'm here 1i lock it to the launcher and so if you watch it here you'll see that it's starting to use some system resources i got three processors really not very much of that memory is being used and we've got some network action going on so now i'm going to start up eclipse with android development tools same one where I accept the default workspace move it all the way of the system monitor window actually make it smaller here so that both will show up just wait for it to fully load look over here you'll see that all three processors sometimes soon be getting close to the top memories no problem networking is no problem and let me switch the last time i was in the DDMS perspective let me switch to the Java perspective and also in this time kinda have to wait for everything completely loads up or you may wind up with some air problems here and the star perspective.
Ok this looks like it's loaded up I come up here don't have much in the way of CP u usage so what I want to do is go up here and let's go to the Android virtual device manager and click on new and i'm just going to do it.
Test call it test device nexus 7 let's just say nexus for target skin skin with the namek hardware controls and I don't want to have it using the host GPU because the host is actually a virtual machine so you're going to click OK.
Highlight it and started scale to real size and lunch should be around somewhere there it is all the way over here I want to put it down underneath the close this window so now i'm going to go to run as and click on run configurations and again I what I'm having here is I'm having you in a bun to twelve fourteen point of form having a lot of slow things happening here where the whole item doesn't show up click on target and i'm going to always prompt to pick device then click run and so that should run or attempt to run over here and I'm once pic emulator 5554 because it that's what asked me to do.
And i'm going to go to open up a window console window.
Here's my console window actually it open by itself it says installation error unknown failure please check logcat output for more details launch canceled actually I've checked out logcat and basically that's not going to really tell you you can take a look at it it's not really going to tell you too much right now if you notice up here we've got all kinds of one of the CPUs is tapped out and they're going wild but nothing's happening over here so if i go to processes and I gotta emulator 64 arm it's taken up.
Thirty-five percent of my cpu may not take up anything I in the process sometimes I want now this is PID 2557 and the process sometimes it shuts off sometimes it doesn't shut off but either way.


##########################################

No comments:

Post a Comment